After months of testing and tasting, I’m proud to announce Chef Eric’s Savory Seasonings. Being a busy chef, I wanted something that I could rely on to give dishes flavor. Students have asked me about the herbs and spices I always reach for so I decided to create a personalized spice blend. Now Sizzle and Smooth are on the shelves in the Culinary Classroom.
Both of my blends are handcrafted here at the classroom using herbs and spices dried and ground by hand to ensure freshness and quality. You can buy my Sizzle and Smooth Spice Blends duo HERE! It is a great gift idea and comes with some delicious recipes, too.
Recently, I was approached by KTLA5 Morning News to give a tailgating grilling demonstration and I knew that it would be the perfect time to unveil the seasonings. Barbecued chicken wings, mini tostada bites and vegetable skewers were just some of the delicious dishes I prepared. I also made chocolate cupcakes for our sweet tooth!
This was my third time appearing on KTLA5 Morning News and it’s always fun hanging out with the crew over there. Next time, I’d love to have them come over to the Culinary Classroom to prerecord a segment and see the anchors try their hand at following some of my recipes! I’m sure they would do well as they always enjoy eating with me and learning all the tips and tricks we talk about.
For those of you who missed the segment on KTLA, check out the video to see me in action and learn those tips and tricks.
Spice-Rubbed Carne Asada Mini Tostados with Guacamole
Sour Cream, and Cilantro Yield: 6 Servings
- 2 pounds skirt or flank steak
- Juice from 2-3 limes
- 2 teaspoons Sizzle Spice Blend
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 ounces sour cream – garnish
- 4 sprigs cilantro – garnish
- 2 tablespoons tomato, seeded and diced – garnish
- 36 mini corn tortillas, hard shell
- Lightly pound the steak, if necessary, to an even thickness. Squeeze lime juice over the steak. Season well with the Sizzle Spice Blend, salt and pepper. Let the steak marinate for 20 minutes at room temperature or under refrigeration if marinating longer.
- When ready to cook the meat, bring it to room temperature while heating a grill pan over medium-high heat. Once the pan is hot, grill the meat for 2-3 minutes per side for medium rare.
- Slice the steak against the grain, then dice the meat. Place the diced meat into a mini tortilla cup. Top with guacamole, garnish with sour cream, tomatoes and cilantro.
- 2 ripe avocados, peeled and seeded
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon Sizzle Spice Blend
- 6 cilantro sprigs, chopped fine
- While the steak is marinating, make guacamole by dicing the avocado. Place the avocado pieces in a bowl and add enough lime juice to coat. Mix the avocado with a fork allowing the avocado to remain chunky. Season the guacamole with Sizzle Spice Blend, chopped cilantro, salt, pepper and the rest of the lime juice.
Follow me for more delicious recipes!