Prime Rib with Au Jus and Homemade Horse Radish Sauce
Yield: 6-8 Servings
- Beef Rib Roast 4-6 pounds
- Salt and Pepper as needed
- Marjoram, chopped fine 1/4 cup
- Cumin, ground 2 Tablespoons
- Shallots, chopped fine 2 medium
- Olive Oil 1/4 cup
- Carrot, peeled 1 each
- Celery stalk 1 each
- Small Onions, peeled and halved 2 each
- Beef stock or broth 3-4 cup
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. While the oven is heating, heat a sauté pan large enough to hold the roast.
2. In a small bowl, combine 2 tablespoons of marjoram and 1 tablespoon of cumin. Add enough oil to make a paste. Generously season the roast with salt and pepper and rub the paste all over the roast.
3. Sear the roast in the sauté pan until golden brown on the fat side. Do not sear the bone side.
4. In a roasting pan, lay the carrot, celery and onions in an even layer. Set the roast, bone side down, on the vegetables.
5. Place the roast in the oven and lower the heat to 350 degrees. Roast the beef for 1 ½-2 ½ hours, or until an instant-read thermometer registers 120-125 degrees for rare. Continue to roast until an internal temperature of 130-135 is reached for medium-rare.
6. When the roast is done, remove it from the oven and set it on a cutting board. Cover the roast loosely with foil and let it rest for 20-30 minutes. Spoon off any fat that has floated to the top of the pan.
7. While the roast is resting, place the roasting pan on the stove top and add the chopped shallots. Cook until aromatic, adding oil if necessary.
8. Deglaze the pan with 2 cups of broth, scraping the pan with a wooden spoon. Carefully remove the onion, carrot and celery and discard.
9. Add 1 teaspoon of cumin and 1 tablespoon of marjoram. Let the mixture cook for 2 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings with salt, pepper and more cumin or marjoram, if desired.
Homemade Horse Radish Sauce
- Sour cream 1 ½ cups
- Horseradish, fresh, finely grated 1 ½ cups
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Lemon juice to taste
1. Combine the ingredients and mix together well.
Follow me for more delicious recipes!www.culinaryclassroom.com www.facebook.com/chefericsculinaryclassroom www.twitter.com/chefericcrowley http://instagram.com/ChefEricsCulinaryClassroom http://www.pinterest.com/ChefEricsCC/ http://www.linkedin.com/company/chef-eric’s-culinary-classroom