If you are searching for the perfect dessert to bring your holiday feast to a close, look no further than my bread pudding recipe. It features the flavor of gingerbread, caramel and a decadent Crème Anglaise sauce that is simply to die for! This is the recipe for my dessert dish from my TV appearance on KCAL 9, news at noon on 12/12/13.
Caramel Gingerbread Pudding with Crème Anglaise
Yield: 16 Large Portions or 72 Bite Sized Pieces
- Half and Half 3 cups
- Caramel Sauce 1/2 cup
- Brown sugar, light or dark 1 cup + 2T
- Eggs, large 3 each
- Ginger, ground 1 Tablespoon
- Cinnamon, ground 1/2 teaspoon
- Clove, ground 1/2 teaspoon
- Nutmeg pinch
- Vanilla extract 1 1/2 teaspoons
- Challah bread, diced small & dried out 1 pound
- Currants or raisins 1/2 cup
1. Preheat an oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, combine the half and half, caramel sauce, sugar, eggs, ginger, spices and extract. Mix well. Gently fold in the bread and currants.
2. Pour the mixture into a 11” x 7” pan. Bake in the center of the oven until a cake tester comes out clean, about 30-45 minutes, or bake in a buttered cupcake pan for 15-20 minutes.
3. Serve with extra caramel sauce or crème anglaise.
Crème Anglaise (Vanilla Sauce)
Yield: 1 Pint
- Cream or half & half 1 pint
- Sugar 4 ounces
- Eggs, room temp 3-4 each
- Flavoring (vanilla bean or extract) As Needed
1. In a 2-quart pot, heat the dairy and half of the sugar until it just comes to a boil. This technique is called scalding. The sugar helps keep the dairy from burning.
2. In a bowl, put the eggs and blend the remaining sugar until smooth. Do not add the sugar until the dairy has been scalded!
3. Temper some of the hot liquid into the egg and sugar mixture. Return the tempered mixture to the pot and cook over low heat.
4. Add the flavoring and stir constantly, until the mixture is nappe. Remove from heat.
5. Strain into a clean container. Chill in an ice bath.
Follow me for more delicious recipes!