Strawberry/Blueberry Shortcakes with Whipped Cream
Yield: 8 Shortcakes
Baking mix 2 cups
Milk 2/3 cup
Flour for dusting and rolling
Whipping cream 1 pint
Confectioners’ sugar 2 Tablespoons
Vanilla extract 1 teaspoon
Sugar 1/4 cup
Strawberries, sliced 1 pint
Blueberries 1 pint
Fresh mint leaves
1. Heat oven to 450 degrees. Blend baking mix and milk with a fork in a medium bowl – the batter will be a little lumpy. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and grease with butter. Set aside.
2. Slice the berries and put into a bowl. Set aside.
3. In a bowl, combine the cream, confectioners’ sugar and vanilla. Pour 2 Tablespoons into a small bowl and set aside.
4. Roll out dough on a lightly floured board to 1/ 2 inch thickness. Use a 2 inch round cutter and cut 8 biscuits. Place on greased baking sheet 2 inches apart.
5. Brush the tops with 2 Tablespoons of the flavored cream. Sprinkle with 1 Tablespoon sugar. Bake 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and cool 5 minutes.
6. While the biscuits are baking, whip cream in a jar by shaking the rest of the bowl of whipping cream, confectioners’ sugar and vanilla extract together for 2 to 5 minutes ONLY, until stiff peaks form. Do not over shake. When finished, put the container in the refrigerator.
7. Slice biscuits horizontally and top the bottoms with approximately 2 Tablespoons each of the berries and whipped cream.
8. Place the tops on the biscuits and layer more berries and cream. Garnish with fresh mint and serve.